|Chapman Goddard Kagan can trace its
roots back to the early part of the 20th century. In 1921 George
Thomas Chapman Q.C. graduated from law and took his articles.
By 1923 Mr. Chapman had founded his own firm in the heart of
what was then the City of St. James. As the communities to the
west of Winnipeg grew, George Chapman was there providing trusted
legal counsel to city and town councils, business people and
his neighbours. The firm has always prided itself on being a
part of the community.
In 1950, Chapmans moved across the street
into the former Dominion Business College where the firm has
remained ever since. The Chapman Building has been a landmark
in an ever changing St. James for 75 years and the Chapman
firm has been a cornerstone of the community for over 80 years.
The law firm grew with the community. It
would eventually come to be known as Chapman & Chapman
(and eventually Chapman, Chapman & Chapman!) and as clients
grew, we grew with them. The firm began representing clients
across Manitoba, as well as national and multinational businesses
with a presence in Manitoba.
In time the firm evolved into the present
partnership which was created in 1982. At that point George
Chapman Q.C. (the son of the founding George Chapman), Donna
Kagan and Alan Goddard created Chapman Goddard Kagan as they
sought to carry on the tradition of George Thomas Chapman
Q.C. who passed away in 1985 after 62 years of continuous
legal practice. In 1992 Kelly Land joined the firm as a partner,
after having practiced with the firm a number of years.
The strong past of the firm is being built upon with an eye
towards an even stronger future.